Friday, August 27, 2010

News

In the space of a week I got a job, an internship, changed some little things in my blog (do you like?) and met one of my roommates, a film maker who is moving to Hawaii. (can you say FUCKING AWESOME...)

I saw a great exhibition yesterday: Iannis Xenakis: Composer, Architect, Visionary at Canadian Centre for Architecture. I would recommend reading it and trying to track down some of his tracks to listen to. He composes his pieces using mathematical equations, first charting them out in different variations on graph paper and then translating them into readable music.
My favourite piece is Terretektorh, where the musicians are dispersed amongst the audience in a circular formation around the conductor creating an immersion for the audience in the music and an almost 3D experience.

Photobucket
(Study for Terretektorh (distribution of musicians). Image courtesy of CCA)

I've been walking, riding my trusty stead, drinking A LOT of tea (I know what you were thinking), looking and listening, and revisiting my photographic experiences from two french lands: Corsica and Drummondville. (see photo posts in this blog!)

Check out this great article about Montreal by the NYTimes - They'll get you by the first sentence, if not, by the time they've stated that Montreal is the other Paris. I guess that's why I love it so much. Is there another place in the world that is the "Other Paris"? That's a pretty big thing.

Also check out my new place(s) of empoloyment/internshipment.
École de langue de l'UQÀM
La Centrale Galerie Powerhouse. On passant, La Centrale is the oldest artist run centre in all of Quebec and emerged after the feminist movement of the 60s and 70s to give a platform for women and other underrepresented artists. They bring art to the streets, that means they want to take art out of the suffocating white cube! At the end of what I thought was going to be the interview but was more like a meeting I said that I was really excited and happy to have the opportunity to intern there and be involved in an artist centre in Montreal. And they said 'you found the right address because it's fun here' (but in French, of course).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your internship sounds freaking awesome.